This is a Weight Watchers banana bread snack bar recipe that substitutes yogurt for shortening. Since the banana bread doesn't rise much, you can cut these into bars. These are fine without the frosting, but ever since I had it in my mind that I could slather them with a healthier version of peanut butter frosting, I don't think I can go back. I came across the frosting recipe in a tips section of Cooking Light on what to do with peanut butter powder. These are ingredients you're going to want in the house at all times as this frosting recipe is a game changer.
Banana Bread Snack Bar
- 4 bananas, very ripe, unpeeled
- 1 cup plain fat free yogurt
- 4 Tbsp unpacked light brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted. Optional as I'm allergic to nuts (except peanuts, obviously, which are considered legumes)
- 2 tsp powdered sugar
How to Make It
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Coat a 9 x 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- Place the whole, unpeeled bananas on a baking sheet; bake until peels are deep golden, 10 minutes. Let bananas cool slightly; slice peel open. Scoop out banana flesh into a medium bowl; mash. Add yogurt, brown sugar, butter, egg, and vanilla to bowl; whisk to blend.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt until blended.
- Add banana mixture to flour mixture; stir just until combined. Pour into prepared baking pan; sprinkle on walnuts if using.
- Bake until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean, 22-25 minutes.
- Let cool on wire rack 10 minutes and then remove from pan; cool completely.
- Dust with powdered sugar or top with with peanut butter frosting; cut into 9 pieces.
Epic Peanut Butter Frosting
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup peanut butter powder; the second time I made this I used 1/2 cup peanut butter powder because I wanted a more intense flavor
- 1 Tbsp softened butter
- 1 Tbsp 1 percent milk or skim milk, or any kind of milk you prefer; if you use additional peanut butter powder you may need to add a little more milk. You'll just have to see what kind of consistency you're getting
- 3 ounces softened Neufchatel cheese or light cream cheese
How to Make It
- Whip everything together in a bowl using a mixer until spreading consistency. Top banana bread snack bars or anything else!